Basketball Official - APPLY HERE
This position will remain open until all spots are filled.
Under the supervision of the Sports Program Supervisor, the Basketball referee will officiate at sporting events, games, and/or competitions. Their focus will be to maintain standards of play and to ensure that game rules are observed.
Salary Range: $18-30 per game; dependent upon games officiated and experience
- Officiate at sporting events, games, and/or competitions to maintain standards of play and to ensure that game rules are observed.
- Judge performances in sporting competitions in order to award points, impose scoring penalties, and determine results.
- Signal participants or other officials to make them aware of infractions or to otherwise regulate play or competition.
- Inspect sporting equipment and/or examine participants in order to ensure compliance with event and safety regulations.
- Keep track of event times, including race times and elapsed time during game segments, starting or stopping play when necessary.
- Start races and competitions.
- Resolve claims of rule infractions or complaints by participants and assess any necessary penalties according to regulations.
- Verify scoring calculations before competition winners are announced.
- Direct participants to assigned areas such as starting blocks or penalty areas.
- Report to regulating organizations regarding sporting activities, complaints made, and actions taken or needed such as fines or other disciplinary actions.
- Confer with other sporting officials, coaches, players, and facility managers in order to provide information, coordinate activities, and discuss problems.
- Teach and explain the rules and regulations governing a specific sport.
- Research and study players and teams in order to anticipate issues that might arise in future engagements.
- Verify credentials of participants in sporting events, and make other qualifying determinations such as starting order or handicap number.
- Compile scores and other athletic records.
Education and Experience: No education requirements. Some experience preferred but willing to train the right candidates.
Skills: Knowledge of the basic rules and concepts of baseball/softball; the ability to speak loudly in front of crowds in large spaces; basic scorekeeping knowledge.
Problem Solving and Decision Making: This position requires the employee to make fair and consistent decisions in a quick fashion to preserve game integrity.
Accountability: Accountable for showing up on scheduled game days at the scheduled time; keeping games running in a smooth and orderly fashion; must know basic rules of league officiating.
Supervision: Must help maintain order of the field assigned, as well as the game schedules with the Ball Field Supervisors.
Personal Relations: This person must be capable of maintaining a cooperative working relationship, as well as maintain a positive and continual contact with the general public.
Working Conditions: All work will be done outside, on a ball diamond. This position will require a minimum of light jogging and/or running.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to stand and jog/run for long periods of time. Vision abilities include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. This position requires mobility, flexibility of the body, manual dexterity, and hand/eye coordination adequate to maneuver around a basketball court.
Special Requirements: Must have proper umpire uniform including protective gear.
The Spring Hill Recreation Commission is an equal opportunity employer. Any applicant or employee with a disability as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act may request an accommodation to perform the functions of this position. The duties listed in this description are only for illustration. Other similar, related, or logical assignment of similar tasks may be assigned to this position.
All offers of employment are conditional upon the successful completion of a background check.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.